The mayapple's flower may be very alluring
but it is poisonous.
In fact all of the mayapple plant
(the root, leaves, seeds and even the "unripe" fruit)
Only the fully mature fruit is not poisonous.
To encourage children to stay away from the poisonous mayapple,
(in the past) their elders traditionally taught them
that it was tended by the devil.
"Though Satan instills his poison,
and fans the flames of our corrupt desires within us,
we are yet not carried by any external force
to the commission of sin,
but our own flesh entices us,
and we willingly yield to its allurements."
- John Calvin